On a sunny Saturday, which happened to be St.Patrick’s day, we visited the finest brewery in Brooklyn – BROOKLYN BREWERY! Just in the center of a hipster town, Williamsburg, BB welcomed us with an Egyptian spell saying…
The tour was already in progress, and the guide was giving us a short summary of the brewery’s history, which I’m going to quote as fun facts right here:
1) Just like many other beer enthusiasts, the owner of Brooklyn Brewery started off his business by home brewing.
2) BB was the first brewery to open in Brooklyn after the prohibition (why this location? because Brooklyn real estate in the old days was cheap!)
3) BB owner refused to pay the mobs for security (common practice back in the day), so he went to get advice from his prosecutor friend, who advised him to just pay the mob. In the end, he didn’t get into trouble because the mafia thought addition of a brewery will help the village economy :)
4) Milton Glaser, the graphic designer who made “I ♥ NY” logo, also made BB logo. Guess how did he wanted to get paid for the logo?!! He got BB beer for FREE for REST OF HIS LIFE and, of course, some shares of the company.
5) Most of their brewing tanks are from Germany, again, customized just like in any other fine brewery. (I bet these tank companies make millions!)
6) BB uses New York City tab water to make their beers. If you didn’t know, NYC has the best water supply system in the country (according to the guide).
After the tour, as you can imagine, we tried some of their special drinks with bunch of beer enthusiasts. To get drinks, you need to get beer TOKENS! (from a hotelie’s perspective, this looked like a very efficient and smart service operation technique). And, they even had a small collection of their old bottles that showed how their bottle design changed over time!
If you are interested in learning more about Brooklyn Brewery or want to visit them, here is the link to their website: http://brooklynbrewery.com
-Sunnie & Yaris